Monday, April 6, 2009

My Passover and Resurrection Sunday

Hallelujah! (S)he has risen! Not from the dead, like Jesus, but from the haze of my first week of chemo, feeling completely redeemed and full of life. Yesterday truly was my Resurrection Sunday, a week early. I'm amazed at how totally transformed I felt Sunday -- 100% renewed. Worship and communion were intensely precious, feeling God's sweet touch on my life.

And this at the end of a week that showed me again the power of God's right hand, protecting me and allowing the ill effects of the chemo treatments to passover me. After a few days of resting and pressing through the chemo fog, by Friday I was already starting to feel virtually normal again. I had assumed that I'd be too wiped out to take part in a Passover seder Friday evening with our church cell group. Instead, the early Passover celebration (Passover officially starts at sundown on Wednesday) was an amazing display of God's redemption and protection of his chosen -- then and now. To my Jewish and Christian friends who don't know why Christians would celebrate Passover, this website has a good on-line video describing how foundational the Passover seder is to understanding Jesus, Messiah: http://sojournerministries.com/cmz/.

Today I went to the oncologist for my first blood work and week-in-review. Having had no nausea or mouth sores with this first treatment means I'm not likely to have major issues with that in the upcoming weeks of treatment. What a blessing! As expected, my white cell blood count is way down (normally over 6,000; now at 900). This means I need to be extra careful to avoid germy environments and sick people -- seems like a good idea for anyone, but for me it means no eating out at restaurants and probably need to stay away from school this week (though I may sneak into the back of the special 5th grade led chapel service on Wednesday). The medicine I got last Tuesday that causes my bone marrow to super-generate white blood cells should be kicking into high gear right now and by next Monday, my counts should be up. If not, the chemo would be pushed out until they're back up. Since I feel fine, I'll just need to be extra cautious and watch for any signs of infection.

I've just returned from a walk with a new friend -- a neighbor lady who had a double mastectomy in February. I had put the word out that I am looking for walking buddies to help me stay on track with daily exercise throughout my treatments, and she kindly volunteered. Nice to spend time with her and today's gorgeous clear skies and 50 degree weather made it really delightful to be out and about...quite a contrast from Saturday morning's blizzard. You gotta love Colorado in the spring!

Saturday:










Today (Monday):


2 comments:

  1. So thankful you started blogging your journey. And I was especially thankful to see you today. Always with people around you, so it was hard to get to you on the short amount of time I had. You are in our thoughts and prayers, and I am excited to see exactly how God is going to be using you through all this. Let me know if you ever need another walking buddy, meals or ANYTHING!!!!
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I see you, Karen, I'll tell my body guards to let you come closer! Joking aside, thank you so much for your prayers and offers to help. I'll keep you posted and look forward to a walk together, a chat, whatever.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete