Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday: So Good, So God

Good Friday is good, no matter what the circumstances. But for me today it truly is Great Friday. God answered the prayers of Hannah and Hugh's classmates and teachers in a great way -- with a white blood count that astounds me (and even impressed the nurse). 7,500!!! That's higher than my normal count (around 6,000) and vastly higher than five days ago when it clocked in at an eerily low 900. Humbling to see God's touch in such a measurable way.

White blood cells are the soldiers against infection and when my count was at 900, I was warned to stay away from likely infection sources. Poor Dennis, who started to come down with a cold on Sunday night, has been exiled to the guest bed all week. I wore my Dr. Hart surgical mask when we took Hannah to the doctor on Tuesday (guessing that a family doctor's office ranks pretty high on the "really germy places" list). On Monday night and Tuesday, I was starting to feel the first signs of a sore throat, and my temperature was hovering around 100. The chemo education materials warn me to take my temperature daily and to call day or night if it reaches 100.5. I did call, and was immediately put on an antibiotic, just to be safe.

By Wednesday morning my temperature was down and I felt fine. Though it was safe to assume that my infection fighting white blood cells were still pretty depleted. I prayed a hedge of protection around me and ventured into a known "really germy place" -- an elementary school. But this elementary school, Resurrection Christian, is filled with God's presence and kids and teachers who operate in God's power.

The chapel service I attended with 400 1st through 5th graders focused on the tearing of the veil separating us from God, which happened at the moment Jesus breathed his last on the cross. At the end, the 5th graders spread out throughout the room and began praying with anyone wanting prayer, and though I know they are praying from me daily, it was sweet to have Hailey put her arm around my and pray again for my complete healing and protection from side effects.

I am the healed! And 7,500 white blood cells per microleter is just one of many miracles to come!

During this Easter weekend, I pray you will have an encounter with the living, true God who loves you more than you can fathom.

This is how God showed his love among us:
He sent his one and only Son into the world
that we might live through him.
This is love:
not that we loved God,
but that he loved us
and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice
for our sins.
1 John 4:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment