Thursday, April 16, 2009

P.J.'s at Noon

Still in my fuzzy p.j.'s, though I've roused myself from a hibernation nap to check my e-mail and post a short update. I'm pushing through the post-chemo fatigue that sets in on the Wednesdays and Thursdays after a Monday treatment. Feels like swimming through Jello to move from one place to another -- slow going but without pain.

Not bad since two of my three appointments for the day have been canceled: (1) a walking date with Carmen, who has a sore throat and didn't want to share that with me, and (2) Hannah's soccer practice, which was cancelled in anticipation of a snow storm headed our way. Debbie, just confirmed Appointment #3 -- a soup and pasta casserole dinner being delivered in thirty minutes -- making tonight an easy, healthy dinner night. The soup comes from a beautiful cookbook for chemo diners: One Bite at a Time. Time will tell whether Hugh's football game will also be cancelled or whether Dennis and Hugh will get to be tough football guys in rain or snow.

My hair is falling out quickly now. A light touch sends dozens of hairs falling like the needles on our Christmas tree when we leave it up into January. The collar and shoulders of my fuzzy white p.j.'s are covered with hair, as if a shedding dog had made it's bed there. I hesitate to even try to brush my hair to straighten out the bed head from my nap, but when I do, it looks better. Maybe tomorrow, when the kids have no school and no football or soccer games, we'll have a shearing party. I am usually the photographer at family events, but I'll need to enlist Hannah or Hugh for that duty -- and then watch for photos here. In the meantime, there's still time to place your vote in the "which ones fall out first" poll.

Ironic that my morning reading was in the early books of Isaiah, where in Chapter 4, he describes the women of Jerusalem, cursed with their bald heads, payback for their haughty vanity. I'll leave that to you to read, but instead will share this from Chapter 6, verses 1 to 3:

In the year that King Uzziah died,
I saw the Lord seated on a throne,
high and exalted,
and the train of his robe filled the temple.
Above him were seraphs, each with six wings:
With two wings they covered their faces,
with two they covered their feet,
and with two they were flying.
And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment