Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Who Needs Hair Anyway?

Well, no wonder. I just did scientific research (selecting the first answer Google produced) about the number of hairs on the average head. And even though I completely believe what Jesus said,

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?
Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Luke 12:6-7

knowing that the WikiAnswers gurus say it's between 100,000 and 200,000 explains a lot.

Maybe I chickened out. Maybe I naturally root for the underdogs. Maybe I'm in denial. Whatever the reason, I didn't proactively sheer my balding head this weekend. Instead, I've been singing that Loving Care commercial: "I'm going to wash that gray right out of my hair" as I've showered the last three mornings. And each morning, probably 25,000 hairs, brown and gray, filled the shower drain.

With 25,000 fewer hairs on my head each morning, I've begun the new morning ritual: wig or scarf today? Monday I opted for scarf (thank you, Mom) to go with my new Chemo Care Package blouse (thank you Lizann, Pam, Robyn and Molly)...but first made Dennis take a picture of my obviously thinning hair. Other than Hugh telling me I looked like a biker chick wearing the scarf, I felt pretty o.k. with it.I tried to Google the answer to my other question: why has the top and back of my head lost the most hair, just like men's male pattern baldness? I didn't find the answer, just lots of sites wanting to sell me hair loss treatments. I'll save my money.

Visited the oncologist for my weekly blood count work (way down again: 600 white blood cells per whatever, vs. 9,700 last Monday, and only 6% of them useful for fighting infection...so pray that they'll pop back up by next Monday, and I'll continue to have my Blood of Jesus Hedge of Protection from infections in the meantime). Otherwise, my doctor thinks I'm doing great. Attributes that in part to positive attitude, but I'd attribute it to Powerful God.

Way more fun than getting poked at the oncologist was my every-other-Monday B&B lunch with my two new breast cancer buddies, Sarah and Lynda. They're both further along with their chemo and have been fabulous sources of tips, tricks, encouragement and belly laughs. B&B stands for Books & B..bs, since Sarah is an accomplished book designer...and you can guess the rest. Pray for Sarah as she's having surgery this Friday and for Lynda as she continues many weeks of treatment.

And to you who voted in my on-line poll (which will fall out first?), I'd have to say that the majority answer is turning out to be the correct answer, at least in my case: chemo is colorblind and it doesn't seem that brown or gray have a better chance of staying in longer. But like I said, who needs hair anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment