Monday, April 27, 2009

A Remnant, By Grace

Writing from the chemo room, receiving treatment #3 (with Kenna, my sweet nurse, pumping that red chemo juice into my Power of God Port). This week as I've marvelled at the defiant hairs that remain firmly rooted in my head, I was led to dive into scriptures about the remnant. To me it seems like these remaining hairs -- maybe 10% of the original -- symbolize something about God's grace for his chosen people, be they the Jews throughout history or those of us grafted in through Christ.

But now, for a brief moment,
the LORD our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant
and giving us a firm place in his sanctuary,
and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.
Ezra 9:8
~-~-~
In that day
the LORD Almighty will be a glorious crown,
a beautiful wreath
for the remnant of his people.
Isaiah 28:5
~-~-~
Once more a remnant of the house of Judah
will take root below and bear fruit above.
Isaiah 37:31
~-~-~
And what was God's answer to him?
"I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal."
So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace.
And if by grace, then it is no longer by works;
if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
Romans 11:4-6

Even though they are pretty pathetic looking, the remaining hairs make me smile. Yes, they are goofy looking, which makes me look goofy too. But they also represent a great "darn it, I'm staying" attitude that I appreciate as my life moves along this uncharted chemo path. And since there's no apparent reason why they should still be here when the others gave up so easily, I'll attribute that to God's grace, and not their works...or mine.

The other amazing demonstration of his grace is that I've avoided any illness this week. Even though my white blood cell count dipped down to 600 with only 6% useful for fighting infection after my after the last treatment, a drippy nose was all that I experienced. And today, when they tested it before starting chemo, it has zoomed up to a healthy 8600 with 85% fighters.

He is gracious!

2 comments:

  1. Kinda . . . sorta LOVE the "head shot" BEAUTIFUL. SERIOUSLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyne, first of all hair is overrated! Secondly, I still have some of that spray on hair that you used on me about 10 years ago for a fiscal year kickoff meeting. I'm there for you with some of that stuff if you want it.

    Seriously, it was good to hear from you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and stay in prayer. I've shared your site with others in the Bloomington office.

    All the best...Mike Kabbes

    ReplyDelete